Friday, September 30, 2005

TIPS 1-2/10/05

In this, what I have planned as weekly, column I’ll make my predictions about the weekend’s matches. By no means am I an expert and any money that anyone loses by listening to me is their own problem. With that said, it will be interesting for me to see how I do over an entire season. Keep in mind that if I were to gamble each weekend it would not be on every single match, I pick certain matches that I feel strongly about and then bet only on those.

Also, it is important to note that as the season goes on and my team has played against these other teams it should become easier to pick them. At the moment things are a bit unpredictable as the season is just beginning and we don’t really know much about any of the teams just yet. So, in the early weeks it is important to be careful.

Here are my thoughts on the men’s matches this week:

What a bunch of crappy odds this week, really nothing worth much here. Odds are low and handicaps are high. The bookies are just as nervous as the betters at the moment…

Hvidovre (+2.50) – Middelfart: These two teams met in the Middelfart tournament and the result was a fairly clear win for Middelfart. I don’t see any reason why this result changes. We know that Middelfart had a bit of a scare against HIK in their first match of the season but I expect them to come into this one with confidence and rhythm intact. I think the first set is close and Middelfart wins the next two without much doubt. At odds 1.40 this is probably one of the better bets this week.

Gentofte – PVC Lyngby (+2.50): This one looks like an easy 3-0 win for Gentofte. The only thing that worries me is the possibility that the starters won’t play the whole match for Gentofte. PVC has shown that they have some life here in the elite division with that solid 3-0 win over DHG and I think they can easily give the backups a run for their money. It's all about taking just one set so this might be something to consider if you're feeling lucky or adventurous. At odds 1.30 for Gentofte this one may not be worth it.

Lyngby (+2.50) – SK Aarhus: Lyngby has had their problems with SK over the years. Last year they seemed to always play their worst matches against them. But this is a whole new season and you can almost always count on Lyngby to deliver a few surprises early. This is also a newly formed SK Aarhus team that hasn’t proven they can play steady in every match they play. This one is in Lyngby and with a little home crowd support I think Lyngby is taking at least one set here. With odds 2.70 I think it is worth a shot.

Aalborg – Holte IF (+2.50): To me this is the most secure of all the bets this week. Holte has lost several important players and are relatively inexperienced. What especially worries me about them is that they have an untested setter and shaky passing going up against one of the best blocking teams in the league. Add in Aalborg is playing their first home game of the year and they are certainly focused on playing their best volleyball with CEV cup and Pokal matches in the near future and it looks like a relatively easy win. At odds 1.25 though it doesn’t look like a real big money maker, considering that they have to win 3-0 the risk might not be worth the reward.

Marienlyst – DHG (+2.50): I can’t say anything else but Marienlyst. Although at odds 1.20 there isn’t really a bet here.

No comments: