Monday, October 16, 2006

Game Time

I finally got a chance to play a fair amount in our match against VCO Berlin and I'll tell you what - playing is more fun than not playing!

We drove to Berlin a few men short, Lars and David are out with long term injuries and in the morning training before we left, Mads hurt his knee. So, going into the match we knew that there were two people left on the bench who could actually play if necessary: Me and a middle blocker, Andi.

We won the first set and lost the second, both semi-close. I came in at the end of the second set and played the last ten points, got subbed out for the last point and to my surprise came back to start the 3rd set. From there I played the rest of the way. We ended up winning the 3rd and 4th, still close, but no question about it, I had a good time finally playing a bit. I've been coming off the bench for small runs of points, tours through the backrow, etc... but haven't really had the chance to establish a real rhythm with the team, so it was really nice to get a chance to run my offense and settle into the match a little bit. In any case, it was exciting and even though we were supposed to beat this team, it still feels good to have had some influence on the match.

Now, we look to a much harder opponent. Tomorrow we leave for Friedrichshafen knowing that we're going to have to play a real good match if we want to come away with anything. Bet and Win has us as 11 to 1 underdogs so apparently our second place doesn't buy us very much respect...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice work Hove! Nice to finally get some game contacts I bet. Sounds like you guys are running low on players....maybe I will call up The Legend and see if he can smack 40-50 kills for you guys in the next match if you would like. Good to hear things are well. Ses on the ses.

Chad

Anonymous said...

Hi Jordan

As always interesting to read your blog.

Like how you deal with good and tougher experiences.

I have always been a match player, rather than a practice player, loving the adrenaline rush when you acually manage to forget about all other things, only worrying about winning the match.

One of my worst memories is during my time at Gentofte when i was benched with a broken wrist in the final game against DHG, where the winner would go into the semis. Even though I couldn't play I just wanted to go in there and do the one thing that would make Gentofte win.

There are defenitely things far more important than (beach :-)) volley - but its great in the short periods when you get completely absolved by it.

Hope to read more about your actions on the court but will tune in all the same.

Teis