Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Read Blocking

One of the biggest differences in style of play that I've noticed between what I've learned in the States (particularly during my time in University) and what I've experienced here in Europe has to do with blocking.

Read blocking seems to be the key word throughout international volleyball right now. Everyone is doing it because it seems like the most effective way to block. Of course teams are running extremely fast offenses as well in an attempt to beat the bunch read blocking system. And basically, a good read blocking team has a great chance to beat almost any offense. Even if the passing is pretty good.

But, what I've noticed is that most teams don't really read block. In most cases, when you see good passing, the middles jump with the middles trying to take away the quick attack. It doesn't matter if the setter on the other side has not set the middle in the entire match. Somehow, taking away that quick hitter becomes the most important thing to do. Discard the fact that almost any setter will NOT set the ball to the middle when the pass is perfect, (this is another topic that I would like to discuss in detail in another post) why do middle blockers do this?

In college, we spent lots and lots of time on blocking. And I think the result was a group of much better blockers than the average. We were also smaller than most other teams so we were forced to be better disciplined. We were a true BUNCH READ blocking team. That means that you read and REACT to the other team. The idea was to never decide before the setter sets the ball where he is going to set it. Just read him, read his hands, look if he is leaning one way or the other and then react when he sets the ball. DO NOT GUESS.

Needless to say, this is easier said than done. But since I have been in Europe, all of my coaches have said that we are going to read block, and I truly don't think any of the middles I have played with have done that. And I don't think that any of said coaches have ever really attempted to force them to do it. I remember hearing, "DON'T GUESS!" or "WATCH THE SET!" over and over again. Middle blockers would be drilled over and over again. If they leaned the wrong way or left too early from their spot they would be out to the side to do push-ups.

I understand that this was really hard training and not an easy skill to master, but in the end, it really paid off. And I think that most of the teams I have played on could benefit from implementing the system. Because honestly, right now, too many middles just jump blindly with the middle. As a setter, this is exactly what you want, because then you don't have to do anything hard. All you have to do is set the ball to the outside or behind you every time and you will almost always have a one on one situation.

I don't know, maybe it's better to go on gut instinct sometimes and just do what you feel is right as a blocker. But I think being disciplined will get a lot more touches in the end.

3 comments:

Nathan said...

yeh i'd have to say I totally agree with that. In the national team we mainly read block, but in some situations nowdays because of the speed of the offence we will occasionally commit on the perfect pass. In sating that we do a lot of practice defending against a 1 on 1 block.
I also think that in general the blocking over here in Europe is not deemed to be that important. In Australia it's our big weapon and we practice it a lot. I think here the blocking is a lot less tidy and a lot of times there are gaps in the block where there should not be. Which is more than frustrating for the defense!

Anonymous said...

yo hove,

i have to agree as well. i have to say that itis rare that i full commit in the middle. there used to be time to jump with the middle and get outside, but now with the faster offences to the corners you have to react to the set. Like you said setters dont usually set the mids on a perfect pass. Also I like it when the setter sets the mids from off the net, it is easier to block due to more time. anyway I hope things are good in Wuppertal. VI SAYTH

Ricky Ziegler said...

Jordan,

I'm glad I also found your blog recently it definitely gives me something to do haha. But yeah the dude from moers is pretty sick. Good luck with the rest of your season and I'll keep reading to see how you're doing.

Ricky