Friday, November 25, 2005

Tips 25/11/05

Last night I had the great pleasure of dining at town hall here in Odense and I'm not really sure if it will ever be necessary to eat again. I did however manage to drag myself home in time to see those Denver Broncos nudge past the Cowboys on Zulu. I may be far, far from home but Thanksgiving was still in the air...

With that said, let's take a crack at the games scheduled for this weekend:

Lyngby - PVC Lyngby (H1.50): Both teams are looking at a trip to elite-qualification but that doesn't mean that this one will not be hotly contested. As far as I can tell, Lyngby is better than their record indicates, they've got depth and they've got a good mix of experience and youth. It is also worth mentioning that Lyngby has traditionally been a strong blocking team. As everyone knows, PVC gets a lot of production from their two outside hitters. The question is whether the good blocking will be able to slow the good attacking. I think in the end it is a wash and the better overall TEAM will take this one home. Throw in the fact that they aren't playing in Polythallen and I like Lyngby (that is, not PVC) in 4 sets.

HIK Aalborg (H1.50) - Gentofte: Both teams have had injuries in this season, esecially Gentofte. From what I heard, Thomas Bach didn't play in Aalborg's last match but I don't know why. What we do know is that Gentofte has had lots of problems with injuries lately and haven't been playing their best volleyball. Losing a set to DHG in their last match was not a good sign for them. As far as I know, Geo Santos is also still out. I'm picking the home team in this one and there are a few reasons why. One, HIK has just been out playing European Cup, that can only have helped them as far as developing is concerned. Two, I like the homecourt advantage and I like the handicap in their favor. Especially considering how many five set matches have been played by the top teams this year. Third, Gentofte has a lot that they may be looking forward to, the semi-final of the pokal against us, for example. Fourth, I think HIK is due for a nice win, they should be motivated and ready.

Light weekend for the rest of us, I hope you all enjoy your time off in the snow...

No comments: