Friday, March 17, 2006

Weekend 18*3*06

A pretty quick turn around from our match on Wednesday against HIK to playing Middelfart on Sunday. But hopefully we'll be ready, I know it took me a little extra time to get the old body ready yesterday for practice. That also reminds me, since we weren't allowed to practice at Marienlyst all of last week, we trained in Odense Idrœtshal instead, and my knees weren't particularly happy with switching back. I'm still not sure whether the floor in Marienlyst is especially bad for players, my legs and knees seem to adapt after a short time, but it's funny how much of a difference I notice after a week playing on wood. A lot of people say we have a big home court advantage there in Marienlystcentret, and I have to agree, but is it because of the floor? Or just the gym in general? I personally think it is one of the best home courts in the league, I like the small setting (because we don't usually have a thousand people) and I like the setup. No matter what, it is a different experience playing there than anywhere else and I think that is important. The worst place I have ever played in was PVC, there is no doubt about that, but I would also list Hvidovre and Spentrup as unremarkable places to play. Aarhus gets a pass because Hal 4 has sentimental value for me. But, isn't it kind of funny? The best teams all have a nice home court, besides SK which is questionable in other ways as well, is that a reflection of them having more money? Better management? Better organization? Is it just luck?

Anyways, back to the volley, I'm looking forward to this one, we've got a lot to prove to everyone, including ourselves after the beating we took last time. Hopefully the aformentioned home court advantage will make a difference. But there is no doubt that we'll have to do quite a bit to beat them, as we haven't really been able to win against them all year.

As everyone knows, SK and HIK are playing a HUGE game tomorrow, wish I could be there to see it, it almost has to be a classic. Both teams are essentially playing for the playoffs and that match is just always good anyways. Thinking about this one doesn't seem like it will get me anywhere so I'm just going to use the "Blink" strategy and quick splice it...SK wins this one. (Which, so far this year, means that I have absolutely cursed them with my pick. I admit, it is not often that I have been right). So, sorry, SK. If I think about it, I would say that SK is a little hotter, plus they are at home, plus HIK had to play us away on Wednesday, and there is no doubt SK will win if HIK plays the same as they did on Wed. Interesting to see what happens.

Gentofte of course is also playing for their playoff lives. Luckily for them, they're playing a team that has won one slutspil set this year. If they lose this one then they don't deserve to be in the playoffs. But they know that. I expect they will use this one to get themselves back in a winning mode and gear up for our match next weekend. Depending on what happens in Aarhus it could come down to our match whether or not they make it into the playoffs. Now that would be an interesting scenario! And I'm not going to lie, after getting canned in the Pokal semis over there, it would be sweet to be able to knock them out next weekend. BUT, that is next weekend, let's see what happens THIS weekend first. Good luck to everyone!

In case anyone missed it last time: Crikey! Check out Nathan's addition to the blogosphere @ http://www.nathanvolleyball.blogspot.com/

15 comments:

Kasper said...

What's your definition of a good home court?

I think we have a decent gym in Hvidovre, in terms of light, ceiling height and most other things.

What we lack, is maybe some better seating facilities for spectators. Possibly also some atmosphere but that may not be the fault of the gym.

Anonymous said...

Hove,

I both like and dislike your gym...if that makes sense. I like the small gym setting as well, but I can't say I like the fact that you can't make a big dig in your gym because of the 'A' frame roof and the lack of space to chase down the ball. For me the floor is a disaster, but I guess those rubberized floors have some sentimental value after the treatment it gave me in Belgium. See you Sunday.

Ses,

Chad

Jordan said...

Kasper, atmosphere is what is missing. The place is a big box and fairly old. Of course there is a bunch of space and the ceiling is high, both pluses, but I just feel like it is too beige if you know what I mean.

Chad, I don't think the floor is that bad, I understand what you mean, and before I came to Marienlyst I thought it would be much worse than it actually is. I wouldn't choose it if I could have wood instead but I guess that is fairly obvious. The A frame is important for us, Stewart gets an extra three to five kills per match hitting balls off of the block and somehow into the roof...

Daniel, brick shithouse is probably the best home court in the history of sports. The showers are my personal favorite but there are so many other things that I like about it... And no one can make any kind of coherent argument against PVC being the worst court in the league. That's just a given.

Kinger said...

beware the power of the subconscious...SK is a guaranteed win now!

Kasper said...

A good home court could be defined as an overall good place to play, or as one that gives the home team some sort of advantage.

PVC, for example, would score low on the "overall good place to play", but if their home court makes other teams play badly, then maybe it's still a good home court?

Anonymous said...

Please stop predicting the games. You are always wrong and can cost people a lot of money with these iresponseble suggestions...

Anonymous said...

Damn you and your prediction curse. What time is it anyway...

Jordan said...

I know, I take full responsibility for the picks. I'm sorry Daniel, I tried to use a different strategy this time but unfortunately it made no difference.

HIK, your problem is that you haven't deciphered the code yet. When you look at the picks you need to realize how poorly I have done and go the opposite way. You say I could be losing people money, when in reality I have been so consistent that people should be making thousands and thousands of kroners...

I also heard about Sasha, and I can't help but be amused by the whole situation. I mean, we really should have seen this coming, he was slowly but surely getting out of control. I can say this now because we don't have to play SK again and therefore I don't risk being bitch slapped through the net or some other such assault. But clearly, one of the highlights of the entire season! Ses in the Marienlystcentret...

Jordan said...

Kasper, I know what you mean, and it is definitely a better home court if it somehow helps the home team. But that would be another strike against your team's home court in my mind. I don't see any reason why that court would help you guys in any way. It is just a normal, slightly boring gym (no offense). PVC on the other hand is so bad that I don't care how much of a benefit they get from it, it blows. We could play outside in the middle of winter on a court made of wild animal skins and that would certainly be an advantage for us, but I wouldn't call it a good home court...

Nathan said...

Sometimes when our junior and youth teams go to asia (and some senior teams from the 80's when the go to India)actually had to play outside on ashphelt!! Yeh diving was a bit of a no-option.
Is that classified as a good home court??? Im sure it would of helped the local team.

Jordan said...

That sounds terrible. I don't think volleyball would be fun at all doing that. Scottish legend told me that they play on concrete usually in Scotland, that must be why he looks so funny...

Anonymous said...

I saw the match between SK and HIK, and I must say that it was one of the best played volleyball matches I have seen. Surely power volley with deadly attacks and insane digs. I really liked it. And I guess that in Denmark, calling the ref. a fucking idiot gives a red card. What I don't understand, though, was that the short german guy didn't get a card or anything when he turned to the ref and imitated shooting himself in the head. The ref looked directly at him...

//Mikkel, HIK II

Jordan said...

Short German guy? Is it just because he looks German? Does he look German? Perhaps Canadian? But I do agree, Daniel you got lucky that nothing happened to you for that one. Would have loved to have been there to see the whole thing unfold. I can understand that it hurts to feel like the refs are against you especially when you are playing for the playoffs. Anyways, glad to hear the match was good, power volleyball, I guess that's the way they like it in Jylland, eh?

Anonymous said...

ok, sorry. I thought he was german, I picked that up from somewhere. But he was in the starting lineup fr SK, so I knew that he wasn't danish...

But yes. Power volley is the only way to play. Block-out and lobs are not allowed overhere. I think that we aren't metrosexual enough to use such cheap tricks ;)

Anonymous said...

Do I look German? I am however not German. I'm just a short Canadian guy from way up north near the igloos.

Yeah Jordan I did turn to the ref and pull out my glock. What up now sucka?! haha.

Refs in Denmark take a lot of shit and unfortunalty I slipped into doing something uncharacteristic because somehow I knew I could get away with it. I should have gotten a yellow card at least...

Short German guy...ahahah...been called a lot of things in my day but never a short German guy.