Monday, February 05, 2007

Moers


This weekend it was Moers at home in the Bayerhalle. For reasons I talked about in an earlier post, there was little room for a bad performance from our side in this one. Fortunately, it turned out to be a positive experience for everyone.

Moers is kind of an enigmatic team. They've got arguably the best attacker in the league - Georg Grozer Jr. - and a pretty solid supporting cast around him. They played themselves into the Cup finals recently after beating Dueren and SCC Berlin in the quarterfinals and semifinals respectively. But they've also been inconsistent in the league. Currently they are sitting eighth in the standings.

When you're playing a team like that, you just have to be more solid than them. Don't give them the chance to get hot. Don't give them any reason to elevate their game or get excited. Keep constant pressure on them and they will eventually crack. I think that we did all those things and it resulted in a good win for us.

We served well, they did not. We passed well, they did not. I've said it before and I'll say it a million times more before I die. When you win the serving and passing battle you will almost always win the game.

Some notes from the match:

Apparently, Moers' libero was sick and did not play in the match. This forced one of their back-up outsides to play the libero position which in turn forced their coach, none other than, Georg Grozer Sr. to suit up. He was very good back in the day. Also pretty crazy. But he is, shall we say, slightly past his expiration date now so it was kind of weird to see him sub himself into the match. At one point I realized that it was the first time I had ever played indoor volleyball against a father/son pairing. I started thinking about what I would say to my dad if he just kept shanking passes and I couldn't really come up with any ideas. It must have been awkward for them though.

The sets to Grozer Jr. were beyond high balls. I can't imagine what he would do if he was going one on one instead of the normal three man block that he sees.

Peter was really good when he came in for us. Ended top scorer and therefore justified the awkward picture above...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hove,

Gotta love the dad coming in to strap on the pads for one more game! A little like Villa's coach in Belgium who decided to strap them on sometimes when they needed him. I guess the difference was Villa's coach was only about 37 and still good. Hope all is good and I will talk to you soon.

Ses on the ses,

Chad